Saturday, December 17, 2011

My Christmas List

It's ironic, or maybe the magic of Christmas, that as I type this, Karen Carpenter is singing "Merry Christmas, Darling" on satellite music and crooning out her wish to be with her sweetheart for Christmas. It's a sentiment that many of us share during this season, to be with those we love during this special time. Of course, many of us have other things on our "wish list," ranging from electronic gadgets to a little bling.

One of my favourite poems of all time, and certainly of the Christmas season, is C.S. Lewis's "The Nativity." Lewis, in his earthy, honest manner, admits his own shortcomings and draws from the humble creatures, his own Christmas list.
Among the oxen (like the ox I'm slow)
I see a glory in the stable grow
Which, with the ox's dullness might at length
Give me an ox's strength.

Among the asses (stubborn I as they)
I see my Saviour where I looked for hay;
So may my beast like folly learn at least
The patience of a beast.

Among the sheep (I like a sheep have strayed)
I watch the manger where my Saviour is laid;
Oh that my baaing nature would win thence
Some woolly innocence.
Fra Diamante's "The Nativity" 1465-1470
May we all be blessed with a generous measure of strength, patience, and innocence, now and always. These holy gifts will shine more brightly than all the sparkly bling we could ever hope for. They're always in style and fit well, though maybe a little awkwardly and confining at first, until we become accustomed to their fine quality and feel.

Merry Christmas from the Ranch!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Free2Be-design

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009 * © customized by Mari @ Free2Bedesigns.com

Back to TOP