Friday, December 23, 2011

Epiphany in the Snow (part two)

 The Dawn's Early Light by Montana Silversmiths 

When the cowboy returned, after what seemed like hours to the reverend, the calf was dry and lifting his head. “You done a good job there, Reverend," encouraged the cowboy. "Let’s get some milk into his belly. Might be a fittin’ time to say a little prayer.” 
It was tedious work, dipping his fingers in the milk and dribbling a drop at a time into the calf’s mouth.
“May I try?” asked Reverend MacGregor.
“Sure.”
He pulled off his collar, and at first, he was awkward. Soon, his trousers and jacket were damp and stained. But eventually, the chalice was empty and the calf dozed. Both men sat back, exhausted.
“With a little learnin’, Reverend, you’d make a good cowman.” 
Pearly dawn was peeking through the windows when the men were awakened by the bunting calf, wobbly, but on his feet. Reverend MacGregor rubbed his eyes, confused and then dismayed when he saw the bloodstained altar cloth and the overturned sticky communion chalice.

“Storm’s over, Reverend. I reckon I better get this fella home for some real grub. May I beg one more favour of you? Would you mind him while I get my horse? I forgot to mention, Reverend, I helped myself to the church’s stable last night, too.”
“It’s quite fine, son.” And suddenly, it was fine, gloriously fine.
Only a moment later and the cowboy returned with his horse. He slung the calf in front of the saddle and turned to shake the Reverend’s hand.
“I’m much obliged for all you done, Reverend.”
“Do you have a name, son?”
“I’m Josh.” He mounted and urged his horse forward.
“Merry Christmas, Josh. The Lord be with you.”
Josh’s eyes shone again. “And also with you, Reverend. And also with you,” he added in a whisper.
Touching his hand to his hat, he wheeled his horse into the pristine, newly fallen snow.
* * * * *

The inspiration for this story came from the bronze shown above and two prints by David R. Stoecklein called "Hero of the Storm" and "Winter Save." 


These are my favourites of all the cowboy art I've seen, for each image represents the determined and courageous spirit of the true cowboy and of the ultimate Good Shepherd, who will risk everything for the safety and well-being of those in His care. 

Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Free2Be-design

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009 * © customized by Mari @ Free2Bedesigns.com

Back to TOP