Tuesday, October 4, 2011

I said I'd never do it . . .

This morning we woke up to dense fog, and the air had a decidedly frosty chill. My flowers haven't been frozen yet, but they are definitely looking weary with small and shrivelled blooms. One more day of wind and the leaves will be gone from the trees.

Aside from the fact I needed to make something to take to quilting group tomorrow for our coffee break, it was just the kind of morning that inspires me to fill the house with homey fragrances. Light a fire. Wear a sweater. (Sometimes, I have to say, our quilting day is one HUGE break, and we just drink coffee, eat, and gossip. I mean, we share our concerns with each other.)

I made Oatmeal Shortbread, recipe courtesy of Ginny, one of my quilting friends.



A little autumn,
   a little Thanksgiving,
       a little Christmas.

      A lot delicious.




3/4 cup all purpose flour
2/3 cup quick oats
1/2 cup corn starch
1/2 cup icing sugar (or confectioners sugar, to some of you)
3/4 cup softened butter

Combine the dry ingredients, then blend in the butter. (Or use your KitchenAid mixer.) Work until you have a nice soft dough. Shape into a ball. Refrigerate if necessary, to make it easier to handle. Roll to 1/4 inch and cut in shapes. Place on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 300º until edges are lightly browned.

Or you can do this instead. Add 1/3 cup chopped dried cranberries. (Or chopped raisins or dried apricots or currants or nuts.) Pat or roll into two 5.5 inch rounds 1/2 inch thick. Mark eight wedges on each round. Prick with fork. Bake 30-40 minutes. Enjoy.

What did I say I'd never do? Post recipes on my blog. I didn't want people to think I'm one of those stereotypical farm women who spend all day making fried chicken and apple pie and quilts.

But I do. And I love it.


"Come said the wind to the leaves one day, Come o're the meadows and we will play. Put on your dresses scarlet and gold, For summer is gone and the days grow cold."

A Children's Song of the 1880's

6 comments:

  1. With a slight chill in the air here, you've put me right in your kitchen, smelling the shortbread baking in the oven. I love the children's song you quoted. I love fall. You put me in the mood. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. MMMMMMMM. You put me in the mood, too! I really want some of that there shortbread. If I'm not mistaken, it travels well via post:).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for explaining "icing sugar". Can I use your KitchenAide mixer? I don't have one. ;0) I may have to try this recipe on my next baking binge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What if your mixer is a Black'n'Decker? Does it work then? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's in the 80's in Central Illinois for a bit. Sweater on in the mornings and wishing for shorts in the afternoons. Crazy, but soon, so very soon it will change to sweaters and coats and potato soup and homemade cookies...

    ReplyDelete
  6. And what exactly is wrong with spending all day making delish shortbread, fried chicken, apple pies and quilts??? Throw in lots of coffee and a comfy spot to write and I'm in heaven. :)

    @Mari - um, you don't call it icing sugar? Cough, weirdo, cough.

    ReplyDelete

Free2Be-design

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009 * © customized by Mari @ Free2Bedesigns.com

Back to TOP